Sciatica Treatment from Your Chiropractor in Sarasota, FL
Every year at the Back to Health Wellness Center, Sarasota chiropractor Dr. Robert Kuskin works with hundreds of individuals from the community who are struggling with pain and dysfunction related to sciatica. Though common, this is actually a frequently misunderstood condition.
3 Things to Know About Sciatica
- Sciatica is a syndrome of symptoms, not a specific disease process. It is caused by compression of and irritation to the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in your body and exits the spinal cord in your low back. The compression of the nerve itself can be caused by any number of factors, including a disc bulge or disc herniation, degenerative joint disease, joint space narrowing (also called stenosis), bone spurs, bone tumors, and even muscle spasm or impingement. Knowing what's causing the compression and irritation to the sciatic nerve can be helpful for developing an appropriate course of treatment. However, chiropractic sciatica treatment and other conservative therapies are often effective even if a clear underlying cause isn't known.
- Symptoms of sciatica vary greatly. They can range from mild to severe and may change in intensity throughout the day. Many of our patients with sciatica complain of back pain, leg pain (often described as numb, burning, tingling, radiating, and/or searing), and leg weakness.
- There are certain factors which may increase your risk for sciatica. Fortunately, many of these risk factors are preventable. Such factors include being sedentary, sitting too much, being overweight, having diabetes and certain other chronic health conditions, and smoking. Your risk of sciatica may increase with age, too, so it's important to stay as active as possible as you get older.
Chiropractic Sciatica Treatment: How We Can Help at the Back to Health Wellness Center
If you're having symptoms like back pain, leg pain, and leg numbness, and/or having trouble functioning at home or at work, then chiropractic sciatica treatment may be exactly what you've been looking for:
- Spinal decompression can help reduce pressure on the sciatic nerve, allowing it to heal and reducing symptoms
- Chiropractic adjustments can also reduce irritation and pressure on the sciatic nerve by realigning the spine
- Massage therapy provides much-needed pain relief, muscle tissue relaxation, and promotion of overall well-being
- Corrective exercises and stretches can improve the strength and endurance of postural muscles needed to maintain your spine in its new optimally aligned position, and can also help increase the flexibility of muscles around the low back and pelvis that may be putting increasing strain on the sciatic nerve
We also offer nutritional counseling to help you adopt a diet that promotes anti-inflammation and whole body wellness--both key for healing!
Wondering if Your Symptoms are Caused by Sciatica? Let Your Chiropractor in Sarasota Enhance Your Recovery Naturally
We look forward to serving you!