Chiropractic Care for Scoliosis
Scoliosis refers to a condition that causes the spine to assume an abnormal curvature. The abnormal curving can occur at any part of the spine, but the most common areas are the lower and upper spine. Scoliosis mainly develops in individuals during their early teenage years or later childhood stages. Studies have shown that this disorder affects more males than females. This condition can be debilitating. However, chiropractic care can alleviate back pain from scoliosis. At Back to Health Wellness Center in Sarasota, FL, our chiropractor can detect this condition early on and provide natural techniques to alleviate pain.
Types of Scoliosis
Below are the common types of scoliosis:
- Congenital scoliosis: It's present at birth and occurs when there is a bone abnormality.
- Idiopathic scoliosis: It's the most common type of scoliosis. As the name suggests, the cause of idiopathic scoliosis isn't known.
- Neuromuscular scoliosis: This scoliosis type is common with patients who have cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and other disorders that affect your nerves and muscular systems.
- Degenerative scoliosis: It's caused by aging and a breakdown of the spine. If the spine and discs degenerate unevenly, it can cause a curvature in the spine.
Those who have scoliosis may exhibit the following symptoms:
- Uneven waist and shoulders
- Back pain
- Uneven hips
- Breathing difficulties due to reduced areas in lungs and chests
- Trouble standing up straight
The symptoms of scoliosis often show up during growth spurts in children and teenagers. If left untreated, the curve in the spine will likely worsen.
What Are the Causes of Scoliosis?
Although the exact causes of the disorder are yet to be established, there are several factors that are common in those diagnosed with scoliosis, including:
- Spinal infections or injuries
- Nervous system conditions, like cerebral palsy
- Congenital disabilities, like spina bifida, affecting infants' spinal bones
- Genetic disorders (muscular dystrophy) that cause muscle weakness
Scoliosis Treatment Options
If you are experiencing symptoms of scoliosis, it is important to seek treatment right away before the condition becomes more painful. Our chiropractor is trained and experienced in alleviating pain and realigning the body. This will help lessen your symptoms of scoliosis. Our chiropractor may use one or more of the following techniques:
- Spinal adjustments: Given that the abnormal curvature of your back compresses the spinal nerves, chiropractic adjustments aim to realign your back joints and alleviate nerve pressure. This action reduces pain and increases your range of motion.
- Spinal decompression: This method will stretch the spine to allow discs to move back into place.
- Physical therapy: Our chiropractor may recommend exercises that strengthen and stretch your back.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Sarasota, FL
Living with scoliosis can be a considerable challenge. Thankfully, you can get relief from chiropractic care. At Back to Health Wellness Center in Sarasota, FL, our chiropractor provides non-invasive and drug-free methods for scoliosis relief. Call us today to schedule an appointment.